Thursday 11 November 2021

73: The art lovers

‘I’m on the train.’

‘And you’d like a pick up at the station.’

‘At two-thirty.’

‘No problem, see you then.’

‘You haven’t made any changes, have you?’

‘No.’

‘That’s all right then. Bye.’


‘What are we doing today?’

‘We, are off to meet the art lovers.’

‘Oh, yes?’

‘A new exhibition apparently, poster art, nineteen thirties to the present day.’

‘Surely it all started earlier than that?’

‘Oh, I think so, but this is the mass-produced stuff, like thousands of copies of railway posters, commercial art and advertising, that sort of thing...’

‘I’ve something to say.’

‘Oh, yes.’

‘I’ve decided against a cleaning lady, if I get unhappy with your standard of upkeep, I’ll step in myself, much as I did at the apartment.’

‘Okay, but you do surprise me sometimes.’

‘I can’t do it, give orders, especially to someone in a servant kind of a role. I’m not you, I can’t judge the moment, or what to say, know the difference between a schoolmaster, the vicar, a gardener, a farm manager, insult your uncle in the first half of a sentence, then praise Julia in the second half. I can do equals when we’re alone, be a subservient servant or uppity servant in public, but that’s it. Daphne’s wrong, I’m not being understanding, I just don’t understand.’

‘There’s just one thing, what’s going on when you give orders to kitchen or bar staff?’

‘They’re not my orders, they’re the customers.’


‘We are just dropping in, it’s not a do?’ So asked Charlie as we walked the harbour side.

‘Correct, but it is the opening day, and they’ve only been going an hour, so no doubt there will be those who wish to be seen to be there.’

‘Welcome old man. Charlotte, do step this way.’ So said Tuffy, holding open the door. ‘There are just a few exhibition pieces, the rest are prints for sale, various ages, conditions, rarity. But the thing is we are now the sole local agent for new print runs from the National Railway Museum Collection, hoping it will be a nice little earner on the side, so to speak.’

As we wandered, Charlie confided; ‘How does Lady Victoria cope with Tuffy? I mean all the obsequious attention? I know I’d find it terribly, cloying. Worshiping someone, not the nicest thing you can do.’

‘Well, I imagine always having been a Lady, helps. She must understand what’s genuine. And if it’s for real, it is flattering. She has a natural confidence, she’ll know how much rubs off on him, she’ll know she’s good for him. She’ll also know of Tuffy’s reputation for falling in love every five minutes, and how, somehow, she’s managed to bring an end to all that. Tuffy may not appear much of a catch, but there is every sign the devotion is real.’

We ruminated awhile on the romance of train travel before the war, and wondered how much of it had been for real. After a minute or two I saw a familiar face approaching. ‘I say, Walpole! What ho.’

‘I didn’t think anyone spoke like that anymore?’ He appeared to be in the company of a lady, a little taller than himself.

‘He doesn’t usually, only when he’s especially happy.’ Interceded Charlie. ‘How are you sir? A pleasure to meet at last.’

‘Charmed. Likewise. Ah, yes. I’d like to introduce you to my wife, Helene. Helene, this is Anthony, part owner of Crawford Spa and his partner Charlotte Sparkwell.’

‘Surely, not by any chance...’

‘Yes, one time tearaway daughter of my old sparing partner down the Bailey.’

‘Good lord. You never mentioned any of this before Walpole.’

‘Well, it hardly seemed relevant.’

‘How are you finding life on the Riviera, Mrs Walpole?’ I asked.

‘Most relaxing. A lot less worry now, since I was able to drag Walpole away from the criminal bar, such sordid cases he’s been doing these last few years.’

‘Are you the art lover, Mrs Walpole?’ Asked Charlotte.

‘Oh, indeed. But alas only from a distance. Walpole never got the money briefs, unlike your father. I’m afraid we’ll never be able to afford the luxuries of your spa.’

‘Well, Charlie here managed to get herself signed-in as a guest most weeks, for the better part of eighteen months, made herself so essential to the life of the place I was eventually forced to persuade our accountant to put her fees on expenses.’

‘I’ve never understood the world of finance, one reason why I stuck to a life of crime.’ Commented Walpole.

‘An idea occurs to me, perhaps the two of you would like to be our guests on the club’s annual outing?’


We were just working our way towards the door again when we came across someone else previously known. ‘Good lord, Thayer! What are you doing here? Lady Victoria isn’t going bust just yet, is she?’

‘Not that I’m aware of, sir. I’m just inveigling myself with local society, better to improve contacts. Oil the wheels of business.’

‘Well, I guess we are amongst the well healed. Thank you for your negotiations on our behalf by the way. Has Brinkley paid you yet?’

‘No, but in fairness I only submitted the account a week ago.’

‘Still, one of the advantages of being on the premises, eh!’


‘Let’s go to the Harbour Cafe, I’ve not been this way for ages. And I’ve had word that Captain Bob wants to speak to me. Talking of whom, how do I properly account for my time at the night shelter?’

‘Ah, good question. I would say, any time spent in meetings or doing anything that smacks of administration can be legitimately marked up as Trustee work - and expenses claimed accordingly. But obviously, informal chatting with clients is something else. Ah, I’ve got it, any time spent where you need to be supervised by a qualified worker should count as voluntary.’

‘Yes, that works.’

Sure enough, the captain was holding forth to his table of followers when we arrived. After ordering at the counter, we took a vacant table outside. ‘By the way, just for the record,’ whispered Charlie, ‘it’s Captain Robert Forsyth RN.’

‘Thanks for telling me.’


‘Glad to catch you two together. I need your help, both of you. Charlie knows me as well as anyone, and since you’ve spent a lifetime looking after a family fortune, you’re a disinterested expert. Fact is, one really ought to make a Will.’

‘Ah, yes indeed. Do I take it your classic yacht is worth more than you paid for it?’

‘My god, Charlie said you were quick! Fact is I can trust Charlie to know what to do with my possessions, what I really value, who might value them or benefit from them after I’m gone, I just need someone with the clout to make it happen.’

‘Well,’ I said picking up my mobile, ‘the answer is probably to name Charlie as your executor, then - given she’s now a Trustee of the Trust - she can get my people to do the leg work, but still have the final say. Besides, she’s totally taken me over when it comes to moral or ethical decisions... Bernard! I need to make an appointment on behalf of an acquaintance. Just a case of drawing up a Will, but a chap with a lot to leave and a close personal friend of Charlotte. His name? Captain Robert Forsyth RN. Yes, I’m sure Lawrence will be interested too.’ I placed a hand over the phone. ‘Are you free next Tuesday morning? Sparkwell can chauffeur you over to our great cathedral city.’


‘Why all this now Bob? You’re not ill, are you?’ Asked Charlie a few minutes later.

‘Apart from the usual ailments of old age, no. The fact is, I’ve signed-up for a cruise. I’ll be off to the Falklands this winter, to take part in one of the fortieth anniversary tours. Had thought of sailing myself, but was advised against it.’

‘Thank god for that.’

‘Would have done, just can’t guarantee supplies of fuel at the south Atlantic ports. Still, one feels one has to be there of course, so an organised tour it had to be. It’ll be nice to see the old place again, though during the conflict itself, we never got near it.’

‘How come?’

‘By that time, I’d transferred to the old Merchant Marine, in charge of a refuelling vessel. Stuck in mid-Atlantic, doing ship to ship transfers. Hell on earth at times, terrified of collisions. Bloody suicidal for the boys on deck.’

No comments:

Post a Comment