Thursday 23 September 2021

66: Repairs and renovations

‘Mr. Mackintosh is with-out, sir.’

‘Without what?’

‘He is proceeding along the tradesman’s path.’

‘Oh, I see. Show him into the reception room, and lay on morning coffee if you would. I want to gauge the reaction of someone who knew my late aunt, to the newly hung visage!’

‘Very good, sir.’


When I entered the reception room, I found Cat sat half-facing the fireplace with his back to the view, experiencing the full impact of the infamous portrait which now occupied pride of place on the back wall. I took the seat opposite him.

‘I say, that’s rather fierce, having the old relative over your shoulder like that.’

‘You think so?’

‘I must say the artist did catch the default disapproval rather well. Have you had it cleaned?’

‘No, it’s just the effect of full sunlight. Anyway, I trust you’re here to give me an update on all matters of mutual interest.’

‘The garden is looking most impressive.’

‘Er, yes. We’re just recovering from two weeks of intensive treatment from the team that usually attends upon all woodwork projects at Checkley Manor.’

‘The new back gate works a treat, lockable again I notice. I say what happened to the bower.’

‘Ah, well, Murchison, our gardener, took advice to drastically prune it, more or less start again, with the warning that it, was almost certainly the only thing holding up the old frame. Such proved to be the case.’

‘It smells a bit odd.’

‘The new frame has been treated with something organic. You may also have noticed the rebuilt shed and the new cold frames?’

‘The gleaming paint was a bit of a give away. Traditional green, with white trim, very Victorian.’

‘Well, now.’

‘Well, what?’

‘I’m waiting.’

‘Ah…’ At which point we were interrupted by Charlie bringing in the coffee. ‘Well, it’s a job to know where to start sometimes.’

‘How’s the apartment?’

‘Fine, fine.’

‘Keeping in with “she who must be obeyed”?’

‘Absolutely. I must say that Jim is an interesting character, had a fascinating conversation with him about locks the other day.’

‘Really.’

Charlie seemed to have decided her presence might be required and had quietly pulled up one of her straight-backed chairs.

‘And your man Brinkley, he’s an odd fellow, still, thanks for all the tenancy stuff, being so generous with the rent and all that.’ And after another pause. ‘I say, I wandered by Jack’s garage the other week, thought it about time I became a bit more respectable regarding transport, he’s got an old Triumph that might suit…’

‘You are amongst friends Cat, you can spit it out, without fear of offence. Perhaps we should talk about the Park?’

‘Ah, now then. Barmy did diagnostics on the flight simulator before leaving again for the Navy. Apparently, what happen was that two of the pins sheered, which is what’s meant to happen under stress, therefore nothing important is bent out of shape. Only problem is, we have to wait upon him acquiring a new set personally, on the quiet, we can’t order them officially without giving away the ID of the machine and its current location, it you see what I mean?’

‘Indeed.’

‘The landscape architects and that chap from the council have been nosing around again. Apparently, there’s no problem about enhancing the perimeter and making it more secure, but when it comes to the public right of way, we’re expected to do better about signposts, the proposed diversion to avoid the threat of stray golf balls however, has to go before some sort of meeting.’

‘Well that all sounds okay. Dare I mention water?’

‘Good news and bad there, I’m afraid old man.’

‘Go on.’

‘I’ve been assiduous with my monitoring, it’s rather as you feared, setting aside the summit, as a one-off event, then the overall water level has held up. But not much margin for error. So, any idea of watering the golf course, or developing the stable block as private residences or indeed building a swimming pool will have to be knocked on the head. You might get away with a drinking fountain and a small aquatherapy pool though.’

‘Subject normal then.’

‘More or less.’

‘More or less?’

‘It being the silly season and all that, all the politicos are at home and hanging around the club, letting off steam, Frimley Coates, Rory Flotterton and Prudence, and there’s talk of Buffy and Carrie holidaying in the area!’

‘Ah, well, nice to be forewarned.’


‘I’m in the money again.’

‘Oh, yes?’

‘Two cheques, one is from The Beacon for the Crimean gold pictures, it should be made out to you really.’

‘No, no. I have no income other than from the Trust. It’ll do much more good boosting your coffers. What’s the other one?

‘A cheque for my latest article for The Countrywoman.’

‘Ah, excellent.’

‘You don’t seem surprised; she’s never paid me before.’

‘Well, you remember during our summer visit I spent sometime in deep conversation with Julia about the magazine, well the upshot was I persuaded her to start keeping real accounts and paying everyone properly for services rendered. I managed to get the message across, that until she did have real accounts, they’d never know how much the business was actually losing - but more importantly still, know the effect that recent changes have already made, and what would be needed to push them into real profit!’

‘What a charmer you are.’

‘Well not really, I merely gave her an assurance that the Trust would guarantee their overdraft for the time being.’

‘So, what is the real situation?’

‘Hard to say yet, but things are moving in the right direction.’

‘I can make another trip to see Archie then, find out what you’re all really up to!’


Autumn rain, as is the English habit in August, was falling on Kenneth as he defiantly laboured in the garden. Definitely a day for tea around the kitchen table, rather than the patio. Then I had an idea. ‘Charlie!’

‘Sir.’

‘Serve tea for Kenneth in the reception room today, if you please.’

‘I have already prepared the room.’

‘Good lord!’

‘I anticipated you’d be unable to resist the temptation, sir.’

‘You did, did you? You haven’t by any chance found out the truth in his assertion that the Aunt never paid him? His refusal to accept remuneration bothers me slightly.’

‘He continues to maintain, that it has always been a privilege, simply being here.’

‘Yes. He’s told me more than once his pension is adequate to meet his needs.’

‘A while ago, on our way to the garden centre, I picked him up at his home, it’s a modest flat but in rather a grand area with a grand view.’

‘Is it indeed. He remains, something of a man of mystery.’


‘Oh, my word, you have done her proud. You know, she was far too modest to have hung it there herself.’

‘Really?’

‘Indeed, it may be presumptuous of me to say so, but the two of you only saw the one side of her.’

‘You must feel free to enlighten us at any time.’

‘Thank you.’

‘I must say I still feel a little bad that we’re not paying you.’

‘Ah, but look how much you’ve invested in the garden in the short time you’ve been here. You encourage me to even greater efforts. There is, but perhaps I shouldn’t say...’

‘Oh, do feel free to speak.’

‘Well, as you might imagine its not been easy to maintain the Book Club of late, what with the pandemic and Elisabeth being such a powerful mainstay. We had the advantage of all being jabbed fairly early but even so we’ve only managed three scratch meetings thus far, we’re not really the kind of group to go Zoom.’

‘You have a proposal to make?’

‘Well, seeing her there, so resplendent in youth, emboldens me to ask whether you would allow me to continue hosting the club here, once in a way, perhaps especially on Boxing Day. With a little assistance from Sparkwell I’m sure we wouldn’t be inconveniencing you in any way.’

‘Kenneth, you have a way of putting things, that makes any refusal sound like bad form.’

‘Can I take that as a, yes?’

No comments:

Post a Comment